The God we serve is consistent and wants our lives to be consistent and under control.
Hello friends, I attended the first Excel Women’s breakfast on Saturday. It was a wonderful way to spend the morning / early afternoon with good food and great company but most importantly valuable teaching – a clear and comprehensive guide through the truth about our emotions and I want to share some of the highlights with you.
What is an Emotion?
Ok, so the bible does not actually use the term “emotion(s)” or “emotional” but a dictionary definition states that an emotion is a “strong feeling derived from one’s circumstances, mood or relationship with others” and to be emotional is to “easily display” those emotions. Now those sound like good definitions right?… I will answer that question for you later…
Where do our Emotions come from?
So as Christians we are Spirit beings first. We have a soul and live in a body. Our Spirit is like Jesus in every way (perfect) but our soul and bodies are imperfect. One of the aims of our Christian walk is to allow our Spirit to control our soul which in turn will control what we do with or what happens in our bodies. Our emotions are within the soul.
Now our emotions are a gift from God and the bible says that “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.” James 1:17 KJV. Too many Christians are experiencing highs and lows instead of being steady like Jesus. The God we serve is consistent and wants our lives to be consistent and under control.
What the bible says about Emotions
As mentioned earlier the term “emotion” is not used in the bible, however scripture clearly speaks about how to deal with them.
“Let” implies choice – we can decide how our heart feels. Therefore, the dictionary definition of emotion is incorrect!! It implies that our mood, circumstances and our relationship with others determines our emotions.
Why Should We Manage our Emotions?
Emotions are powerful and can influence us for good or bad. If we mismanage our emotions, they have negative impacts on our lives. As Christians we are examples to the world, “a lamp on a hill”, so we ought to be accountable for our emotions. Here are a few pointers to help us manage our emotions:
- Remember that you can choose how to think – “… I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:” Deuteronomy 30:19 KJV
- Believe in Jesus – “believe in God, believe also in me.” John 14:1 KJV
- Rebuke ungodly thoughts – “Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;” 2 Corinthians 10:5 KJV
- Think on good things – “…whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” Philippians 4:8 KJV
- Speak to Jesus about what is troubling you – “Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.”1 Peter 5:7 KJV
- Build yourself up in God’s love by being intimate with him- “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.” 1 John 4:18 KJV
- Connect with godly people who will encourage you and refer you to the word of God.
- Stop blaming people and take responsibility for your emotions.
I found this teaching so helpful and I am determined to live a steady, peaceful, joyous life not controlled by my circumstances or relationship with others. Hey why don’t you challenge yourself to do the same. I will keep you posted on how I go 🙂
WRITE FOR US
Would you like to write for The Excel Church? Get in touch and let’s discuss it further.
Also listen to the podcast on Spotify & Youtube Music
If you want to get more inspiration, listen to the latest sermons on popular streaming platforms. If you’re looking for an increase in spiritual warmth, just click on the links below.